Once the Normand family farm, Leon Valley Golf Course was the first 18 hole golf course to be built between Waco and Austin. Fashioned in the style of a course in Monterey California, the native soil was "pushed up" to form the greens and common Bermuda grass planted. Water wells were dug and powered by windmills to supplement the water drawn from the nearby Leon River. The first nine holes opened near the end of 1958 and the second nine opened in 1959. The Normand family operated the course until it was sold to a group of local investors. In 1997, the last two partners of that group agreed to sell the course to the current owners who placed the property in a family trust. Over the years, the course has passed many tests of time such as droughts, floods, snow storms and fires. The pro-shop has been re-located four times. The yardage play was shortened from 7400 to 6550 and the holes have even been re-numbered. Many stories still continue to circulate about past legends playing at Leon Valley, including the late Byron Nelson. As a tribute, an autographed copy of Nelsonís book is on display in the pro-shop along side items from Snead, Palmer, Lopez, Kite, and many others.
Copyright 2008 Leon Valley Golf LLC, dba Leon Valley Golf Course, PO Box 665, 709 East 24th Ave., Belton, TX 76513 (254) 939-5271 firstname.lastname@example.org